Saturday, February 03, 2007

Things That Make You Go Eh

I received a message from the Secretary of Health the other day, urging me to wear red on February 2nd. February 2nd, as I am already aware I was told, is the National Wear Red Day. Everyone is advised and encouraged to wear red on the day, to show support for women's heart disease awareness. By wearing red, it claimed, whether it is a dress, shirt, tie, or Red Dress pin - you will be sending a lifesaving message "Heart Disease doesn't care what you wear - It is the #1 Killer of Women."

Something about the missive struck me as a bit out-of-line. First of all, how does wearing red, or any other colour for that matter, lend support to the fight against heart disease in any way? Secondly, if heart disease doesn't care what you wear, then the best way to prevent it would be to not wear anything at all, wouldn't it?

I was more than a little bemused. I was outraged. "This is outrageous", I announced to express my outrage. Who is the Secretary of Health to decide what I wear on February 2nd. As a mark of protest, I decided to boycott the National Wear Red Day altogether. "Not only shall I not wear red, but I shall wear the opposite of red," I resolved.

This resolution of mine posed a bit of a problem, however. The opposite of red, as you'll readily agree, is cyan, and I, like any self-respecting conservative dresser, do not possess an array of garments bearing a cyan hue. I decided therefore, to improvise. And so it was that on Friday, February 2nd 2007, I showed up at work sporting a pair of blue socks with horizontal green stripes. That ought to have showed them.

National Wear Red Day. Bah, humbug!

4 Comments:

At February 4, 2007 at 1:48 PM, Blogger Blake Statham said...

You know, I think if heart cancer doesn't care then not wearing anything will probably just make you cold.

I did have similar thoughts, wondering how clothing "helps in the fight." Fortunately our secretary of health doesn't have serious things to do than tell people what clothes to wear...I feel healthier already.

 
At February 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM, Blogger Sarat said...

You could have explained away to yourself that wearing red was to show support to the NC State Wolfpack in preparation for its big game with the UNC Tar Holes. The result of the contest by the way would have wiped away those non-conformist blues.

P.S. If you still don't have a Wolfpack sweatshirt - I'll order you one.

 
At February 6, 2007 at 10:01 PM, Blogger raoul said...

I do have a Wolfpack sweatshirt. It's more white than red though.

 
At February 10, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Blogger SDS said...

Hi Sarat,

Raoul is waiting for the T-shirt. Please keep up your promise, he is heart broken with out that :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home