Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The OSI Model Revisited

As I sit in the conference room listening to a boring presentation about an integrated device communicating with hospital information systems over the seven layers of the OSI model, my mind begins to wander.

What are the seven layers of the OSI model I wonder. And then like a flash of lightening it occurs to me. In a trice I recollect the friendly mnemonic that we had come up with all those eons ago.

Please Do Not Touch Sachin Phadtare's Assignments

What a great mnemonic. Simple, yet catchy. Topical, yet pertinent. And remarkably efficient to boot. If there were awards to be awarded for the catchiest mnemonic ever, this would be among the winningest of the lot. Yes, it really is that good.

To be honest, I do not remember much about Sachin Phadtare, or why we were not allowed to touch his assignments. In fact, I haven't the foggiest idea of what he looked like (though I have a vague feeling that there was a moustache involved.) Still, he will linger on in my memory forever.

I try hard to suppress a chuckle. The presenter looks at me. I nod wisely as he rambles on.

Meaningless presentations can be such fun at times.

1 Comments:

At January 29, 2007 at 3:07 AM, Blogger Sujith said...

My mnemonic (learnt while cramming while drunk in c-dac) for OSI was:

Phelo Dalo Nahi Tho Sale Peekar Aao

Roughly translated, it means: "Screw now, or come back after drinking"

We were a dirty-minded lot :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home